Wednesday, July 10, 2013

speeding

The past few days[weeks, months] have been a blur, but you know what makes time stand still...when you're driving down the interstate, going well over the posted limit and you lock eyes with a state trooper. and you see them pull out of their hidey hole and onto the interstate behind you.
TIME. STOPS.
and you sweat.
and your butt cheeks tighten.
and you get a knot in your throat.
and you try to nonchalantly sing whatever crap is pumping out of the speakers...

but then, they pull somebody else over instead of you. and you're released from that gripping, breath shortening fear of a ticket....

Dear Lord,
Thank you for not giving me a ticket today even though I deserve it. I deserve to be taken to jail and locked up, but I promise I'll be better.
AMAN.

When I saw the older body style white lexus with a dark colored hood getting pulled over today, it really broke my heart. Because I speed through this blessed beyond measure life of mine without a real true worry in the world and I'm so comfortable, that I don't even realize how fortunate I am. I think crazy thoughts all day everyday, but today I honestly wished that I had gotten that ticket, just so that poor person in the old car with 2 paint colors and probably no A/C could not have gotten a big fat ticket today.

I try to do the right thing, but I've got to do more.
I've got to teach AR to love others as herself, and to do that, I have to do more.
That's my heart today.
Love,
D.


2 comments:

Kadi Coleman said...

Hi Dannis! I found your blog on your facebook page and have been enjoying reading it, especially regarding your pregnancy and beautiful girl! I'm expecting my first next January. :) Your entries always make me smile!

Callie said...

I know what you mean about your stomach just dropping when you think you're going to get a speeding ticket! I used to be able to get away without getting one, but not anymore - I think my days of charming my way out of a ticket are over, haha! I really shouldn't be speeding anyway, but most of the time I don't realize I'm doing it.